Monday, July 24, 2006

Video "Games"

The speaker of the following statement is old: “Back in my day, …”

At least that’s how I take it. Kind of like Dana Carvey’s Grumpy Old Man skit on SNL.

But, oh my goodness, have you seen the freakin’ video games that are out these days? That “kids these days” have?

Context: I was born in 1974. (Holy crap). Also, despite advanced Army training, I am a geek. Hence the topic.

My first video games were on my friends’ Atari's.
"Pong," in addition to being (really) the World’s First Video Game, was one of the first games I ever played.

I suppose you’re predicting that I’ll say, in predictable old-man style, that those early ones were the best.
Nope. The vast majority of them really did suck.

But these days (oh boy, soundin' old), video games are unbelievably complex. Today’s games are so involved, they cannot be simply picked up and messed with. You have to INVEST TIME in learning about them.

And there’s often a TRAINING PROGRAM within the game which the manual says you should do before attempting the demandingly hyper-realistically complex actual game. I’m serious.

The baseball video games are so advanced that I would have to learn more about baseball than I already know in order to play them even vaguely well. AND I PLAYED BASEBALL AS A KID. Not well, mind you, but I did the whole little-league thing and several summers of my life were spent playing it.

Video baseball game of my childhood: you could pitch fast or slow. You could try to swing or bunt. Two dimensional only. (My Rating: Sucked)

Video baseball game, some time ago (6+ years?): you could pitch fast or slow in three dimensions. You could alter your swing power and steal bases and stuff. (My Rating: Great!)

Video baseball game, today: when pitching in high definition 3D graphics, you have the option of curling your little finger on release if you press R1+R1+square+triangle, but if you hold down triangle, you could over-curl it and peg the batter, but be careful if you try this after about 10 batters, because your PITCHER ACTUALLY GETS TIRED AS THE GAME GOES ON, and it really depends on who’s pitching, because the pitchers are REAL PITCHERS from MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL™, and you kind of have to know their stats in order to pitch well with them. (My Rating: …um…think I speak for all old-ish people when I say: “Holy crap.”)

10 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Mike said...

That game rocks! That, and Golden Eye.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Bird said...

Space Invaders is the single greatest game *ever* conceived. (My rating: superlative).

Check out "The Shrine" to this insanely fantastic video game!
(http://www.spaceinvaders.de/)

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Mike said...

That's a BOLD statement to make. Maybe you need to qualify that, like greatest one-person game.

And what about Pac Man? And his lady-friend? I do believe that "Pac Man Fever" was at one time performed by the Solid Gold Dancers and had its own breakfast cereal. (The nation groans in memory).

'Cause I'm not sure it stands up to 2+ player games such as Mario Cart (Owen, et al.) and the computerized version of Risk (which was known to consume most of the work week within the Mascia/Speiser apartment).

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I am really "out of it." I have no clue what any of you are talking about...I have never played a video game in my life. Really! Never!

Back in my day, (did I really say that) we had board games. Note the spelling---board...not bored...

This discussion resigns me to fact that my wisdom years are creeping up on me.

(Anthony's) old Aunt Mb

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Bertie is way off. Way too cavalier with your superlatives, friend. It's a fine game for what it was.

I, too, love Mario Cart. One of my favorite games. Those red, "heat-seeking" turtle shells were my favorite weapon. And I hated the banana peals.

Correction: The actual playing of RISK was a few hour ordeal. The analysis of who won and why, what strategy worked best, what was the pivotal moment of the war, why did the computer player do what he/she did, etc. took the rest of the evening and most of the next morning. I want to play now. Such a simple, low graphics game... and hours of entertainment. Best $19 I spent. (By the way, Mike, you still owe me $19 for keeping the game).

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Aunt Mb,

I wouldn't feel too bad about having not played this stuff yet.

"Risk," that game that Anthony and I are mildly addicted to (I can quit anytime...I just don't want to), is a computerized version of the board game. The computer version does the dice rolling for you, keeps track of all of the little pieces, and adds some music and animation. The others, like Mario Cart, Space Invaders, Risk, etc, are games you can just turn on and play--you don't have to invest literally weeks of your life building up some computer version of yourself in order to achieve status in a virtual world.

My main problem with the evolution of video games is that some of them have become so involved that they practically take the place of having a life of your own. There's a game out there called Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas), where you have to have your character work out during his down time. If you don't, when he goes out and steals things and tries to run from the police, he gets tired too quickly. People are living entire lives through this game, to include buying virtual houses and dating different virtual women. I'm not kidding.

The unbelievably crazy games are connected over the internet, where your virtual character interacts with other virtual characters in a detailed virtual world. People who really play these games spend most of the free time in their lives working on a virtual life.

How serious do people take it? There are people now who play these types of video games professionally. Once they get a special "item" or build up their game character to a really high level, they sell them for ACTUAL MONEY in online auctions to others. There are people in South Korea who make a living this way. Seriously. There's a game out there called GemStoneIV, and there's an entire auction website dedicated to selling virtual items that don't really exist outside of this "game.”

The auction: http://www.gsauctions.com/

The game site:
http://www.play.net/gs4/new.asp

So...bit of a tangent. Evidently, I owe Anthony 19$, three rolls of toilet paper, and two years of incessant nagging (HA!).

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Anthony, funny that you mention this. I'm taking a class this summer and the professor (who is about your age), was just talking about he just got an Xbox (or something) recently for his birthday. It's been a while since he's played on any recent gaming systems and he said the learning curve has been huge. When he started talking about it, it made me think of your post.

Anyhow, your post also made me want to yell, "Damn teenagers!"

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

As much as I'd like to take credit for this outstanding (and nerdy) post, the authorship credit must go to Mike, as he is one of the four horsemen to head up this blog now. So kuddos to Mike. No kuddos to other two members who have yet to make ONE contribution. No worries as they are on the fast track to replacement. ;)

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Mike!! I am *SO* sorry for not reading the byline. I suck as a reader. I hope you forgive me!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mike said...

...I guess so.

just kidding, of course :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home