Sunday, July 02, 2006

DUI: Dialing Under the Influence

I was out at the clubs with some friends on Saturday night. This entails meeting people and dancing, all of which is regularly facilitated by alcohol. Somewhere between 10:30PM and 2AM I probably consumed 4 or 5 drinks (vodka-red bull, vanilla stoli and coke, and the ever-popular "whatever you're having").

The Drink and Dial: Is this ever a good idea?

I submit to you that, like most things in life, it depends on the context. If you're having a blast and you miss a friend who isn't there because of, say, a geographical impossibility, a quick shout-out voicemail can be fun. Kind of a "hey, we're having a blast, you should be here, man, peace, brother (nondescript yelling)" message MAY be acceptable. It may be, in the parlance of the evening, "completely awesome." Let's look at the deciding factors:

1. Are you coherent or will you babble? (Coherent: good. Babble: probably not good).
2. Did you leave a voicemail or did you actually wake the person up, locking yourself into an awkward 1 minute conversation where the person you called has to yell to be heard over the G-Unit throbbing in the background, which, for some reason, you really want to get your swerve on to at this point in time? (Voicemail: good. Other: varying degrees of bad).
3. You did call a friend, right? You're not calling an ex with no other agenda than somehow expressing painful emotions, right? RIGHT? (Friend: probably good. New girlfriend: possibly good. Ex-girlfriend: I have never even heard of an instance where this turned out well.)

As for the phone call I placed last night, it was all good fun. Today my friend and I concluded that I shall be known for a period of time as "Drunk Dialey, the little known 8th Dwarf."

7 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Sneezy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Dopey and, the ever famous, Drunk Dialey. HAHA! That is hilarious.

I completely agree with the bullets 1-3. Blowing someone up on their cellie can be great fun. I personally do not regularly practice this, mostly because my slurring gets really bad. If I did (and when I have), I'd keep it to the short list of good friends. Anyone else might not find it funny or entertaining. I have a friend who could be Drunk Dialey II (Amit). And certainly never EVER call a past relationship. I, too, have no positive data points on this. Does anyone?

Great inaugural post!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike.... toooo funny. I have often been the person who everyone calls in a fit of happiness induced only by alcohol, and since I only have a cell phone when these people (aka friends) call at 2 a.m. I am always the half-comatose fool that answers the phone. Ahhh yes, I wake up in the morning wondering too if I talked to anyone in the middle of the night, and then remember the thumping of the music of their background.
Here in Indiana there is a much larger question that has us Hoosiers scratching our heads.... When in the world are you going to come back to visit us? Obviously you will have to wait for Anthony to return from Oklahoma, but I think you should book a flight, and we'll get the seat ready for you at the Alley bar.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Nice! Yeah, I need to visit again soonest. Anthony's B-Day was, I recall...what's the word?...righteous.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am notorious for Drunk Dialing. My best friend actually saves the messages for my future humiliation.

Note to friends: If anyone ever sees me drinking, remove my phone from the premises, please.

The ex- deal *never* works, it's true.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

I was a HUGE fan of Anthony's birthday... too bad it only comes once a year.... Oh wait this is his birthday... I should be more excited to have my birthday more than once a year, yet truly, not so much. So are you packing and on your way yet?

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm planning on a huge (for me) trip whereby I visit everyone I know in the U.S. who lives East of California. That's a large area from what I understand. NYC, Miami, D.C., and, of course, Bloomington.

I think once you hit 30 you're supposed to start counting backwards, which makes me 29 (again).

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely - and that would make me - ummm, 10 years old now. Having a 26 year old son, I tell you it's nothing short of a miracle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home