Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Complete Bullshit.

I'm struggling to contain myself.

The minimum wage in America apparently is at its lowest point in 50 years, indexed for inflation. And the fucknuts running our government do not see this as a travesty. Though recommended by a House committee, it is has been pledged to be removed before an actual vote. The fact is that this breaks down close to party lines, with the Republicans voting against an increase. But shame on the Democrats for only caring during this election year. Trying to balance the gay marriage thing, I guess.

And the biggest kick in the nuts is that these jackasses just raised their own salaries due to increased "cost of living" for the SEVENTH year in a row. That is the equivalent of an annual $3300 pay increase. Special shout-out to Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah) for being the ONLY MEMBER OF THE HOUSE to call this issue to the floor.

And to be clear, I appreciate the complexities of the minimum wage issue. But it takes balls to give yourself a raise while not giving those below the poverty line a raise as well. Congressional salary is around $180,000 depending on your role. That excludes ALL benefits (not to mention their own personal investments). Minimum wage salary is the equivalent of $10,712 (40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year) with no guarateed benefits. Wow.

Here is a new implementable plan I just made up. Seriously. I really do believe this. The "cost of living adjustment" in the Congressional and presidential salaries is to be proportional to the increase in the minimum wage in any given year. If the minimum wage is flat, then elected official salaries are flat. Likewise, if minimum wage increases by some percent, then so does the elected official salary. How is that idea not fair?

This is what happens when I live alone and read/watch the news. What good is a tyraid with no there to listen?

5 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

What good is a tyraid with no there to listen? That's why we blog, my friend! :)

I totally hear you with this post. I don't even get a COLA from my job.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony~ Remember all those times at lunch when you and I would go off about politics and say how great it would be if we ran for office together?!? I think the best part was pissing off certain people who like to have a ridiculous opinion but nothing to back it up (I think you know who I am talking about!). You know I will always agree with you when it comes to politics, we established that years ago!!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

Mascia/Phillips 2040. We could give Speiser a post... maybe assistant director at NIST?

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Speiser will probably be dead by 2040. You need to bump up your timeline, kids.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Apparently the minimum wage raise won't see its way out of committee and Denny Hastert wants to keep the issue off the table til after the election in November. Gee, I wonder why.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home