Monday, July 17, 2006

A Pretty Good Apple.

So I had every intention of writing about my OKC trip. (And I still will). But for now, I had to share a real short story.

I got back to work today, and it was great seeing some of my work-friends again. Pat and Mark took sheer delight in sharing a little story with me that they knew would get me going. While I was gone, Mark apparently had, "the best apple of his life." They both told me this story and just waited for me to react. I was going to hold it back, but I couldn't. The best apple of his life?! Really?! I was shocked at how easily he discarded every apple from his past. He's probably had hundreds of apples in his life. I don't think it's fair to casually toss around statements about the "best apple ever." It's not a reasonable statement, especially since, with time, the taste of any one apple fades. How careless.

6 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Simpson's comic book guy voice: "best apple, ever."

Ok, based on statements like "with time, the taste of any one apple fades," I'm not sure what "apples" are a metaphor for in this conversation. I like to think that, if we're talking about APPLES apples, that I don't tend to hype up the flavor in my memory, post-consumption. You sound upset that Mark has somehow lost his apple-perspective and is somehow disrespecting the memory of countless apples past. Are we talking about apples? Just checking.

I'm more of a "oh, yeah, I ate an apple, which means I can grab an In-N-Out double cheeseburger and, having had fruit earlier this week, actually feel like I'm eating healthy."

Apples that pass in the night.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Hey Anthony-- welcome back! I hope you had a good trip. You're co-bloggers did NOT keep up the fort very well in your absence! You need to get them posting! :)

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if the "best apple" of his life would have increased the odds in the baking excursions discussed in an earlier blog....

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Come on, Owen, sing it with me:

In-N-Out...In-N-OUUTT....

THAT'S WHAT A HAMBURGER'S...ALL ABOUT!!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

As much as I appreciate being psycho-analyzed regarding my perspective on favorite apples, I'd like to take this chance to say you are all nuts and read WAY too much into things. Life is too short.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Did everyone see the way he typed that? Seek help (no).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home