Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mimes.

Last Thursday, I was sitting at my desk doing some work. I had a random thought. Have I ever laughed at a mime? I honestly don't think I ever have. I mean EVER. What is to laugh at? Mimes aren't funny. A mime is basically a clown without sound, props, gags or jokes. Come to think of it, what the hell are they? Are they supposed to be ironic? Are they poking fun at the human condition by taking away our predominant mode of communication and replacing it with that "I'm trapped in a box" thing? I honestly don't get it. I asked a few other people and they haven't laughed at mimes either.

That leads me to a recurring theme. What have the French ever contributed to society? Two things... recreation (i.e. the 32 hour work week) and mimes. And this warrants a permanent seat on the UN Security Council? Right.

9 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

(SIGH) Anthony, Anthony, Anthony...

Apparently you don't count cheese and wine and a myriad of wonderful painters as contributions to society. Brie alone should well counteract mimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_France

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Anthony, I found your equivalent in the comic pages!

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that French have also demonstrated for the world the art of surrender. Come to think of it, I've got a French rifle for sale.. Never been fired and only dropped once. Anyone want to bid?

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with Claire - brie counteracts the creepiness and disturbing pasty white coloring of mimes. Though, in Anthony's defense (did I just say that?), no one laughs at mime's. They aren't funny. They're dumb.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I agree. One example of a meaningless, irritating cultural phenomenon should be sufficient to summarily dismiss all contributions from any one nation.

What time do tractor pulls come on ESPN, again?

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

What time does your mom come on ESPN? OH SNAP!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Oh, NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

it's ON!!!!!

(For those who do not know, one dude saying "your mom" in any capacity to another dude produces an instant fight in grades 3 and up).

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheese and wine are not unique contributions to the world, therefore they cannot counteract anything, especially mimes. Surrendering - now there's a contribution! And for all you feminists out there, the French Apache dance should be enought to dismiss the whole group entirely.

By the way - I have nothing against the French - I just like being mildly annoyed.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I can see that.

Yeah, enjoyment of mild annoyance kinda runs in the Mascia family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home