Friday, April 07, 2006

Second Last Official Friday of Lent. Right?

So I have to tell this story. A couple weeks back, I was eating lunch with two of my favorite MPRIers, Pat and Av. I was grumbling about not liking the Subway tuna sandwich, and at the same time, pissing and moaning about not having any alternatives. Pat turns to me and says, "You could have a nice pilaf."

WTF! A pilaf?! I mean, I've had pilaf on the side of something. But for a main course?! And who suggests off the top her head a pilaf for Lenten Friday lunch? I was sort of hoping for suggestions. But never did I see this one coming. Plus, putting the word "nice" in front of pilaf put me over the top. As if she were trying to sell me on the idea. To this day, Pat defends this suggestion.

On the other hand, Avril, who is good and creative cook, suggested I make some sort of fish dinner... with garlic, seasoning, lemon butter or some crazy thing. She made it sound wonderful. And when she makes it, I'm sure it is. But again, I was dumbfounded. Do these people know me? I've been annoying the crap out of them for the better part of two years! If I can get through fixing a bowl of Toasty O's (i.e. Kroger brand Cheerios), I'm proud. Then again, Avril eats fish eyeballs. Yea she does.

4 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Bird said...

Um, friend... hate to burst your bubble but the hardest lenten friday is still before you-- the Good one!! Fast and abstince. How we Catholics suffer-- first no Ken dolls and now no meat or snacks for an entire day! We're going to heaven for sure! ;)

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Mike said...

In moments of hunger, I enjoy falling back on the Calvanist "salvation by faith alone" interpretation and grabing a fatty cheeseburger.

The Onion has a good infographic this week about new religious fiction. My favorite: "The 780 Billion People You Meet in Hell."

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger vp said...

actually fasting according to the vatican is much less stringent than one might think. My ex-jesuit friend explained that you get two smaller meals and one "full meal"...in the vatican tradition this "full meal" was the traditional 7 course meal. Now this seems not in the spirit of the holiday but it's legit.

Just no snacking.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so cheap, Anthony. Then again, so am I. I eat rice as a main course because it is cheap and requires no knowledge of the kitchen. I don't even go near pilaf. Hope you made it through today - Good Friday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home