Friday, March 24, 2006

Thursday Night NCAA Basketball.

Two amazing games. Texas vs. West Virginia. UCLA vs. Gonzaga. Both games went to the very end. The VERY end. Like last seconds.

WV drills a three-pointer with less than 10 seconds left to tie the game. WV, who was trailing Texas for the majority of the game, breathed a sigh of relief (along with a burst of celebration) to have a chance in overtime to move on to the Elite Eight. However, Texas inbounds the ball, moves down the court to a scrambling WV defense, and feeds the ball to a player about 6 feet from the three-point arch. The unlikely shot goes up and in. Unreal.

Having trailed Gonzaga then entire game and still being 9 points shy with under 3 minutes left, UCLA pulls it together. The 'Zags led at one point was 17 points. The 2nd half was all UCLA. Farmar brings UCLA within 1 point. As the 'Zags inbound the ball to a full court pressing UCLA defense, the whole arena must have felt the intensity. UCLA strips the ball and scores a quick 2 points to take the lead for the first time the game with about 10 seconds left! UCLA recovers a bad pass / loose ball to seal the game for UCLA. 'Zags got a quick shot off at the end, but couldn't connect.

Judging from the adrenaline rush, I felt like I was playing. I mean, my basketball career at St. Robert Bellarmine was quite amazing. I had 3-points-- 1 free throw and 1 bucket-- in four years. Hey, that's a points per game average of 0.0625. UCLA recruited me (i.e. answered my begging and pleading with an offer of admission) for my physics abilities. But I told them, "Hey, I'm not all scientist, baby." Yea, that's right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home