Monday, August 14, 2006

Lovely

Hi, everyone!

Finally, because my intensive Lithuanian class is over (more on that later), I am at last able to post to this snazzy blog! And thank goodness, because apparently Anthony and Mike are about five minutes from excommunicating Sarah and me for our silence! Sadly, though, they will not be a fan of this post, because it is going to be a triffle schmultzy.

I am moving on Friday. It is completely unreal to me, as I have lived in Bloomington, IN (save summers) since the Fall of 1999. Now, 1.75 degrees later, I am venturing out-- into the very unknown. For the next two months, I will be working as a full-time volunteer with the Sisters of Charity in El Paso, TX. Three days of week I will work in their medical clinic in New Mexico (writing grants, etc.) and then two days a week I will work in their clinic for disabled children in Juarez, Mexico (I think my job there will entail lots of driving about the crazy, sandy streets of Juarez picking up families and transporting them to and from the clinic). One of my good friends is already of a full-time volunteer with the SoC there, so I am very much looking forward to q-t with her and my other friends in the area (several years ago, I did an internship in El Paso).

While in "The Pass", I have a second priority: finding "for real" full time work. As I am so sick of school my eyes are starting to swim, I have decided to finish my degree in concert with full-time employment. I have a job offer with a gov't agency (pending the sucessful completion of my background check), but that "pending" is stretching into impurtitude. Consequently, I *need* to find a job (yikes!). So, my evening and weekends for the next two months will entail lots of cover letter writing and resume sending. And, after two months at the Border... well, who knows, I guess? I am a Daughter of Fortune these days-- I am hopeful that my luck will continue and something pleasant will pan out. Fingers crossed.

Okay, enough about me; please allow me to share with you about what is truly amazing: the lovely people in my life. Namely, Anthony and Laura. This past weekend, Anthony and Laura (1/2 of the "churchies" friend group-- which I am delighted to announce that I did not name!) threw the most beautiful going away party for Sarah and me (Sarah is heading to Boston College for a joint masters-- I will refrain from saying more, so that she may share the exciting details with you). I wish I could capture the enchantment of the evening in words, but it is impossible to create a complete picture of all of the warm goodness of the night. Perfect weather, grill fare, pine sprigs duct taped to oak trees, two priests and a couple of campus ministers, alcohol, dancing, Dolly Parton (not live, unfortunately-- that would have been really incredible!), the Coors lite chug, "Bye, Friends" the Cake, besties spirited from Chicago, O.P.P, copious amounts of alcohol, dancing citrinela candles (not those dastardly eye-sore tiki torches found at less enjoyable affairs), more and more alcohol, the Pennsylvannia Polka, and friends, friends, beautiful beautiful friends.

My life is lovely. I spent the night ensorcled by all the incredible that surrounds me here. "...all I could think was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful and yet again, wonderful" (Harris, L.A. Story). Leaving such awe-inspiring perfect seems unreal, because everything lovely in my life is so deep and rich.

Really, I am a little mad at Anthony and Laura. Why are they making leaving that much harder?!! Why must they be so nice and thoughtful and caring and wonderful? Those bastards!

Honestly, though, Anthony and Laura are once-in-a-lifetime friends. So much beauty crammed into two lil' people. The "churchies" have been the single most important blessing of my last two years in Bloomington. Absolutely sincerely, friends, thank you for loving me so well. I love you very much.

I better stop. If I thought that my blogship was precarious before this post, it is absolutely in question once Anthony (and probably Mike, too) reads this rambling, Kumbaya treasties of love and friendship. For those of you just meeting me with this post, trust me: I am usually not this kind. Especially about others. Though I do share nice things about myself once in awhile! ;) I am hopeful the comment section will be filled with testaments to my salitness. Future posts will likely be less pleasant, thank God. So don't discount me yet! ;)

I will post a picture from the festivies once Anthony shows me how. I am not quite twenty-first century yet (though I do own my first cell phone! Crazy!).

13 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Bird said...

Oh! Something else my post will teach you about me: I never spell check. Whatever. Close enough, right?

Incidentally, this attitude cost me a half of a letter grade in "lietuvos klasÄ—" (that means "lithuanian class", Anthony! ;.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Bird!!! Welcome to the blogosphere. Nice post to get things started.

Though Mr. Curmudgeon-in-training may not approve of "rambling, Kumbaya treasties of love and friendship", I do. And I think you're more full of Kumbaya than you'd like to think. I'm so glad to have been able to come down for your going away party. It seems like yesterday I moved onto Ed3 and met you.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Bird said...

Claire, it was UNBELIEVABLE that you and Natti came all the way to Bloomington for a one-night affair! Insane!

It does seem like yesterday that we met in good ol' Edmondson-- how lucky I am that our friendship only gets better with time! [insert here a twangy countrywestern song about fine wine, friendship, and ripening with age].

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Uh-oh, Bird. We better cut the lovefest. Anthony's not going to like it.

Also, I briefly blogged about this over at my place. I uploaded some of your pictures to my flickr account. Thanks again for the photos!

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi to everybody!
you haven't met me yet.
I know Anthony a bit and Laura a lot. Even over here in sober Germany they are known to be two very exceptional people. So Bird can't have been merely rambling. :-)

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bertie
Sounds as if you have really been blessed...collect all these memories and even tangible things in your "booster box"...to pull out and recall when things get rough... those positive things can boost you through a lot...

Learning Lithuanian? What ??Why Lithuanian???
However...The SoC work sounds enriching to others as well as your own self. Good luck!

As much as we would like to think that it is love makes the world go round...let's face it...Money is the second force. Now I will hope that a full time job is yours soon.

By the way, if the rule of this blog to be curmudgeonly, then you've ALL failed because I find everyones' entries to be hilarious...
Peace & prayers
Aunt Mb

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

BERTIE! You made it. And I was just tuning into the blog to be terribly disappointed when I see this post and I was thrilled! And I am not a curmudgeon. I am a pragmatist.

Your compliments are too kind. But I'll take them. :) And it's true, at your party, there was Coors Light (I think there are like 12 CANS left... eww) and a polka. You all dance divinely. Whatta fun time!

You and Ms. Hoff will be definitely missed. But you aren't rid off L-clap and I just yet.

As for the commenters:
Owen, it's great to hear from you. Still using $30 hair gel?

Claire, it was great seeing you. Thanks for coming.

Mariam, welcome... I didn't realize the blog made it out to Germany!

And finally, Aunt Mb. Please do NOT encourage Bertie to stick more shit into a "booster box." Right now, she has a "booster 6x6x12ft storage unit." How much more boosting does one person need? She has more crap than you can shake a stick at. And according to her, it's all important, useful stuff. Right. She'd actually fit in quite well with the lady Romes. Eh hem.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony
I laughed out loud when I read that you think you are a pragmatist and not a curmudgeon...there's a fine line here....

Right after I posted it, I realized (recalling the storage unit post!) that the tangible "Booster box" suggestion was a bad idea. I guess, a mental "booster box," is the best option for people with too much actual STUFF. Sounds like Bertie already has started hers....

It would be wonderful if I had a few nice things from my only nephew to put into any booster box, mental or tangible! Eh hem!

Oh yes---today, August 16, is my 39th anniversary. You can say something nice now!
Aunt Mb

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Bird said...

Congratulations, Aunt MB!! That is an INCREDIBLE achievement! What an incredible life!

And I love the idea of a booster box(es)... Anthony, could we consider my rubbermaid bins "booster boxes". Is that like when a ratty piece of property is added to the National Register of Historical Sites and, consequently, cannot be touched? Hmmm... I like it!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Congratulations Aunt Mb!

As for you, Anthony. I didn't say you *were* a curmudgeon-- YET! It was great fun seeing you though.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Bird said...

Owen, Aunt MB absolutely celebrated her anniversary, but not with Mr. MB-- with God! :)

Aunt MB, despite everyone's belief to the contrary, has enjoyed 39 fabulous years as a nun (is it hte School Sisters of Notre Dame?). I met Aunt Mary Beth a few weeks ago when she was visiting Bloomington and, as I am sure her posts have already demonstrated to you, she is one snazzy lady! Hip nun (but aren't they all-- I am a huge nun fan! Cool people! :).

Congratulations again, MB! Cheers to you and your amazing work!

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to you all for the wishes. This goes into my mental booster box fer shur!

Owen, believe it or not I had been called Mrs. God once by one of the little kids I taught. That was a real "heavy duty" thought at the time and even now---

Bertie and Claire thanks for the wishes. I am a Sister of Notre Dame (SND) We work basically in the midwest and Florida. Our community was formed from the larger group--SND de Namur's (SND de N). They are well known in Boston and New England area. The School Sisters (SSND) were started by another founder...but i don't know who..That I'll have to look up...anyway..

Thank you for celebrating with me in spirit. I am a lucky woman....having a spouse I can count on TOTALLY...priceless.

Eh hem!
Annnthonyyyyy...I am waiting for a nice word from you.....

Aunt Mb

PS---I hope that knowing my background doesn't stop you all from being yourselves. I am not easily offended so I have enjoyed EVERY bit of this blog.

PPS--In case you wondered...no I have never used a ruler on anybody.... no rulers were needed because "The Look" I learned from my mother has served me very well as an effective discipline technique.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Aunt Mb,

Belated congrats on your 39th! Very impressive!

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home