Sunday, January 14, 2007

Pachelbel.



I don't particularly enjoy Pachelbel's Canon in D. It's pretty cliche. I'm not a classical music expert. But the canon does stink of dimestore class, right? I can appreciate the simplicity. It is an incredibly accessible tune. It is even pretty. But it doesn't take much music appreciation to appreciate and therefore it is less appreciable. Follow?

The video and the guy are very funny. I never realized that this chord arrangement is so pervasive in so many genres of music. My favorite line in the video, "He's the original one hit wonder... VH1's 'I Love the 1790s.'"

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Is there anything new under the sun? Doesn't seem so. Maybe... Borat. And this guy.(ps- I'm in love, here... cute, smart, plays the CELLO?!? o my.)

He's right about the cello part for Canon in D, but if he's ready to call it the *most* boring, he's clearly never played "Turkey in the Straw". I nearly lost my mind on that one. But at least every freaking bride on the planet doesn't walk down the aisle to "Turkey in the Straw."

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Mike said...

If I see another bride walking down the aisle to a poor rendition of Canon in D, I will be forced to...um...ok, I won't be forced to do anything, but it's so painfully overdone and cheesy at this point.

I really enjoyed Canon in D when I was in high school. Since then…not so much.

This guy is good. I enjoy intelligent comedy (as opposed to, say, the blue collar tour).

Mike

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate Pachelbel. And my dad's name's Johann.:-(

Scroll down

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Johann_Pachelbel#Kanon_in_D

for a list of pop songs based on Kanon in D ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home