Thursday, September 21, 2006

Public Service Announcement: iTunes

Ladies and Gentlemen:

About a month back, my computer crashed. All of my music went with it. 80GB. That’s a lot of music. But, salvation: my favorite music (about 6GB) was still on my iPod. The music is stored in lovingly created playlists that I have compiled over time:

The aforementioned Running Mix.
Workout Mix.
Chill Mix I and II.
Romance.
Love.
Groove.
Stupid Groove.
Army Crew Mixes I, II, and III (Vegas edition).

You’d think that I could somehow upload all of the songs on my iPod back onto my computer, but iTunes specifically prevents this to discourage stealing music. Luckily, I found a program on the web that allows you to do this called iPod Gadget. There are others like it (just do a google search). So, for $19.95, I got my favorite music back. Here’s a quick word of warning:

For those of you with iTunes, DO NOT update it. When it says that there is a new version available, don’t download it. Save a copy of the installation software for your old version in case your computer crashes and you have to reinstall iTunes. The newer versions offer almost nothing (e.g. album art), and chiefly serve to make it harder to get anything off of an iPod in an attempt to combat piracy, which also serves to screw you if your computer crashes.

This has been a public service announcement. And now back to: Star Wars, the lost scene between episodes IV and V (yes, I am a geek).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Lx016uPSo

4 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

The dumbest thing I ever did was download new versions of iTunes. I feel your pain.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

I do not have iTunes. I have Napster. $14.99 per month, unlimited rentals or $0.99 per song. The "unlimited rentals" is just that... a rental. But if you are the type of music listener who likes sampling (like me), then you definitely get your $14.99 worth. Plus, all the unlimited music I can put on my Samsung YP-Z5 (the Samsung version of the iPod nano). And if you'd rather own, it's the same price as iTunes and THE FILE IS WMA or MP3 AND NOT PROPRIETARY. Honestly, I couldn't be happier about my MP3 system. And Apple can rot in hell! This is my rage against "the man" and his proprietary, music file bullshit! I'm such an insurrectionist.

Funny YouTube clip. This blog definitely needs to start incorporating more of such things... jazz the place up a bit with some digital entertainment.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

My computer also died recently. it committed laptop suicide by throwing itself off of a bookcase. very sad. the good news? My new one arrived today! woo hoo! Am currently exercising my fingers on the brand-new keyboard. mmmm... clicky!

Yeah, Anthony, I hear that YP-Z5 is all the rage. On the street it's all "YP-Z5 this" and "YP-Z5 that". It's all anyone can talk about...

So, does it mean I have horrible taste in music if some of the songs that are on Mike's workout mixes are in my daily listening playlists?

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Mike said...

one more good thing: you can find, download, and install older versions of iTunes. You'll have to re-constitute all of the playlists, but it still works...

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm

um..."fight the power"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home