Thursday, November 16, 2006

Marathon and 31 years



So, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon two weeks ago with my friend Jamie. He's an old Army buddy and is in the FBI. Consequently, he's in shape.

We ran a 3:49, which I'm happy with. Thing is, when we crossed the finish line, he practically danced across, pumping the crowd up. I crossed and went into shock. Seriously. I was dehydrated from the flight out (and...you know...the 26.2 miles). So I finished and went into shock for about 45 minutes. Feet elevated, wrapped in blankets, etc, in the medical tent. Good stuff! At least I know that I pushed myself.

Attached are pictures of us crossing the start line and later about mile 16 near the Washington Monument. He's the guy to my side in sunglasses with well defined shoulders. I'm the muppet.

I haven't run yet since the race. Man, that not running feels good.

6 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger clairehelene7 said...

Congrats Mike!!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Anthony said...

The measure of a man is how knobby his shoulders are.

Congrats on the run! And good, very respectable time.

Now finish your damn PhD and get the hell outta there! Or maybe you could sign up for something else to distract you for the next few months and graduate in 2010. Sounds good. Either way, you know you have my support. And by support, I mean criticism.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Yes, the marathon was quite a thorough distraction and I'm not close to graduating.

But I also know that graduate school is giving me the most flexible schedule I will ever have until retirement. And having come from the freakin' Army, it's nice to wake up at 10AM just cause I feel like it.

I feel like a shark that's swimming at speeds just fast enough to keep it alive...a shark with boney shoulders, but a shark nonetheless...what?

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

You tell 'em, Mike. Don't let that knobby-shouldered ex-roomie of yours bully you about graduation. He's just jealous cause he can't sleep in...

Seriously, *Congratulations* on the marathon!

Was there a birthday in there, too, or does the "31 years" part refer to something else? :) Happy Birthday, Shark.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Or I'm right. It's called "tough love." Or it's called "self-righteous, Anthony-knows-best badgering." Whatever.

I bet you are still buying that expensive juice and making all your dinners with $7/lb challots, Mr. Juice-Challot.

And I just watched Family Guy yesterday. There was a commercial for the Army with guys having fun and hot cartoon women in bikinis jumping around in piles of cash. And the last line, in a quick low voice, said, "Your experience may vary."

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Mike said...

AEM has a point--in Grad School, I'm on a financial glide path that will eventually result in me running out of money with nothing saved for retirement and complaining about Republican fiscal policy. (HA!)

And as for the Army on Family Guy, that's really what it was like...um...yeah...

That Family Guy episode was freakin' hilarious.

Army Cadence from that episode:

"West Side Story, Anything Goes--"
"Those are two of our favorite shows."
"Miss Saigon and Cabaret--"
"Overrated, I should say."

Now if you'll excuse me, I must finish my mid-morning shallot snack.

Mr. Juice-Shallot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home